The world is currently faced with a pandemic of COVID-19, a new virus that spreads so fast through droplet infection especially in crowded places and causes illness. Since it’s new, there is no immunity against it. Therefore, it is important that we practice preventive measures.
Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 include;
- Running Nose (flu)
- General Weakness
- Difficulty in breathing if the patient develops pneumonia.
Public areas like banks, offices, shopping malls, restaurants, markets and other small businesses are areas of heavy human traffic and crowding. The Ministry of Health has developed the following guidelines to provide information to the general public in these areas to prevent infection with COVID-19.
Urban authorities, Employers, Managers and Owners of premises MUST adhere to the following;
- All individuals accessing the premises must undergo temperature screening.
- Ensure provision of adequate hand washing facilities with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub. Everyone MUST wash and sanitize before entry to these places and as frequently as possible. Hand-washing facilities and alcohol based sanitizers should be placed at strategic points like security checks, entrances, bathrooms, toilets, conference rooms, kitchens/canteens, payment points, and ATMs.
- Ensure your work areas are clean and hygienic – regularly clean all surfaces with disinfectant (soap and water or JIK) (e.g. desks and tables, telephones and keyboards, kitchens/canteens) at least three times a day.
Please see Downloads for detailed COVID-19 Guidelines for Public Places
If you suspect any person has developed signs and symptoms of COVID-19, immediately call the Ministry of Health toll free lines on 0800-100-066 or 0800-203-033 and alert them about the situation with full address of the suspected case.
The following mandatory facilities must be in place at all premises and accessible to everyone:
- Toilets/latrines: 1 stance for every 20 persons
- Hand washing facilities with running water and soap and a good drainage system OR alcohol based hand rubs/sanitizers
- Waste management facilities (waste bins and bin liners, incinerators